The First Step or Highway 20 Ride

    I am sitting in my hotel room in Rock Hill, SC writing this first blog post of my first road trip as a paid comedian. That is still weird to say. It is 3pm in the afternoon and I finally decided to get out of bed and let some natural sunlight into the room. It's nice. I have been keeping myself entertained with a combination of plants vs. zombies and flipping through channels on a gigantic tube TV that is some how propped on a 20 degree angle on top of an armhauer. I have no idea how to spell that word. Arm-warrrrrrrrrrr. 

     Well I left my house in Wake Forest on Wednesday and drove 5 hours to Augusta, GA. For some reason it did not seem like that bad or far of a drive. Listend to a lot of Pandora and podcasts. I never have gotten to drive through states by myself before. I always think it is an interesting experience to see different parts of the country. Like this for example.





    That is South of the Border. It is located on I-95 at the North Carolina and South Carolina state line. It is, by far, the most white trash tourist trap/ clap trap you can possibly imagine. It has a fireworks stand and a motel. I think it is all an amazing front for dealing drugs and cooking meth. Nothing about the Carolinas really has anything to do with Hispanic culture, as far as I know, but this place still has a 40 foot sombrero adorning the side of the nation's largest north to south highway. And it is always slammed packed. 

    I arrived in Augusta around 4:30 and checked into my hotel. It was a nice long term stay place. A Candlewood Suites. It's interesting, this is my first time on the road, and it has only been a few days but I forget where i stayed. I have already forgotten a good bit about Augusta. I remember the wal-mart was a spectacularly stereotypical wal-mart. 

     The show was really fun. I was super nervous about my first feature set. (For those who don't know, that is typically the middle guy in a comedy show. Usually does around 20 minutes of material.) I actually ended up doing 30 minutes by mistake. I was so focused on not rushing through all my jokes I spoke to slow and so my set slowed down a bit in the middle. I held it together and walked off with my skin. I opened up for the amazingly funny David L. You should should check out his twitter and face book. Super funny guy. 

    The next morning I woke up and checked out. I drove up to Charlotte to stay the night. I had the night off from doing a show, but Tim Meadows (The LAdies Man from SNL) was doing a show at the Charlotte Comedy Zone. That is one of my favorite clubs to go to, so it was great to be able to see an awesome show on my night off. 

     While driving around Charlotte I saw one of the best things I have ever seen.


    If it is hard to tell, those are two thugged out youths. They are both covered head to toe in read, white and black. BUT the one on the left is definitely wearing an ANGRY BIRDS HAT! Complete with dangling ear flaps. It is amazing. I laughed really hard in my car. 

    It was a good night in Charlotte and I am looking forward to Fort Mill, SC tmw. It will be my first four show weekend as a feature.

Leave a respond

Post a Comment